Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Cheesy Chicken Tetrazzini

I came across this recipe at another recipe blog....www.mealsmadeeasy.blogspot.com. You will see many of them repeated here...


1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half and half or whole milk (I just use skim because it's what I have)
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 pound penne pasta cooked, drained
4 cups cooked chicken torn into bite sized peices
1 1/2 cups toasted fresh bread crumbs (I just used bread crumbs from a package, I did not toast my own)

Preheat oven to 350
Melt buter in a large saucepan over med-high heat. Add garlic, salt and pepper.
Saute until liquid evaporates, about 12 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
Sprinkle flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Gradually add broth and half and half (or whatever) stirring until blended.
Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add 3 cups cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. (I didn't actually measure 1/8 of pepper, just throw some in there)
Stir in pasta and chicken.
Pour into a buttered shallow 3 quart baking dish.
Mix remaining cheese and bread crumbs; sprinkle over casserole.
Bake uncovered, until the sauce bubbless and the top is lightly browned, 35-40 minutes.
Makes 8 Servings.

This is very tasty and it helps if you cooked the chicken at a previous time. I did it one morning I had off work, but if you can think ahead (thus the meal planning) you could simply prepare extra chicken on a night you were already having chicken and you'd be set! I made the pasta right then, it doesn't take long and you don't have to cook it completely, it will continue to soften in the oven.

erin

No comments: