Monday, October 27, 2008

Meat and Rice Casserole, Max-style

This one comes courtesy of Dad's "No-Salt, Lowest-Sodium Cookbook". Sounds yummy, doesn't it? Actually, this recipe is really good! I have to admit, though, when I made this casserole, I didn't use half of the ingredients in the published recipe, so I'm calling this "Max-style" because Dad told me the version he uses! Make sense?

  • 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
  • Dill dip mix (or you could just use a little dill seasoning)
  • Onion powder (I used chopped onions)
  • 1 c. rice (I used jasmine and it was great!)
  • 2 c. chicken broth or bouillon
  • Mushrooms (optional)
Preheat oven to 375. Brown the ground beef or turkey in a skillet. Drain. Add the onions/onion powder and dill/dip mix to the meat. Add mushrooms, if you like that sort of thing.

In a casserole dish, put the 1 c. rice. Pour the 2 c. broth or bouillon over the rice. Add the ground beef. Cover and bake for 40-45 minutes. Covering is important so the rice will cook! Don't get fancy, just use aluminum foil!

When the casserole is done, you can serve it as is or you can get wild like Max and add some frozen peas STILL FROZEN to the top. Recover and let those puppies cook on their own. No need to keep the stove on!

Serve with some light sour cream or dill dip on the top. Delicious!

No comments: